Thursday, January 14, 2010

DIR EN GREY AT THE NIPPON BUDOKAN, DAY 2, 1/10

Here it is at last! My report of the second day of Dir en grey live at the Nippon Budokan! I apologize that it took me so long to get this up... stupid school sucked all the meaning and soul out of my life as usual and left me both unable to type this up, and unable to even think about. But I am here at last, so here we go!

I arrived earlier to the Sunday show than I did Saturday, so I was able to take some pictures in daylight. The really cool thing about the Nippon Budokan is that it's actually on the Imperial Grounds, so you have to pass through these old, traditional gates to get inside. Here's one:


And another:


Sunday was significantly different from Saturday in almost every way (including the show). The first thing I noticed that had been absent on Saturday... scalpers. They were everywhere and they would actually follow you, yelling "Chiketto aru yo! Chiketto aru yo!" ("I've got a ticket! I've got a ticket!") until you managed to escape. I guess they were staking out the ticket-less stragglers who were desperate, since Sunday was the last available day to see Dir en grey.

I also took a picture of the entrance sign, this time in daylight:


Also, I just thought this was an interesting cultural note. I took a picture like this at D'espairsay's C.C. Lemon Hall concert, too. In Japan, it's customary that associated bands, sponsors, and friends send flowers to bands on the day of an important show. Then the band puts them on display. Click the picture to make it bigger!!! These were out Saturday, but I couldn't get a good shot in the darkness. As far as bands go, they have flowers from Janne Da Arc, Sugizo, D'erlanger, and my camera cut it off but there are also flowers from Versailles as well. But what I can't wrap my mind around is... Gack sent flower to Dir en grey?!!  Whaaat?!! I think my brain broke when I saw that, lol. I even heard people around me muttering "eh? Gackt? Uso..." ("Huh? Gackt? It can't be...")


As a point of interest, Teru from Versailles actually announced on his blog that he attended this concert. Of course, I'm sure none of us could figure out who he was without his make-up on... Anyways, Teru said he was overwhelmed by the power and sound of the performance, and that it inspired him greatly.

Anyways, the other thing I noticed that was significantly different from Saturday... cosplayers. Hordes of them. I don't know why they all showed up on Day 2 and not Day 1 but... there were tons, mostly in groups. And these were hardcore cosplayers, too... the kind that spends bazillions of dollars making their costumes and hours putting on their make-up. There was a Cage group, a Yokan group... and I even saw a guy doing Kyo from The Final with the pink contact lens and fake eyelashes and everything. But isn't the tour final about moving forward? I don't think Dir en grey appreciate being reminded that they used to wear dresses, lol. But, actually... the cosplay was not only VK. On Sunday (and, well... I saw this a bit on Saturday, too) there were plenty of people dressed like current Dir en grey. The most common thing is to see guys doing Kyo's hair, with the brunette hair overgrown on one side and cut short on the other. Also... track suits. Adidas track suits everywhere. Even the girls are doing it.

Anyways, I was hoofing it alone on Sunday. Saturday I went to the show with Sonia and Keiichi, and met up with Ashley. For Sunday, however, I knew no one in attendance. For the most part, this didn't bother me because I consider concerts a solo experience. Even when I attend with friends, I avoid saying much of anything or interacting with them. I prefer to just absorb the show and think and feel whatever it is that I feel. But I'll admit... I felt a little lonely at the beginning. I just walked around, skirting past scalpers and people selling fake, unofficial Dir en grey merchandise, and eventually decided I was hungry and went to a McDonald's nearby. I must admit... it was quite hilarious to be in a McDonald's in which 99% of the customers are Dir en grey fans. All around me were people in Dir en grey shirts and hoodies clutching posters and fixing their dyed hair while eating fries and McFlurries. I heard some businessmen behind me talking in rather bewildered voices and saying things like "Dir en grey... they must be famous, huh?"

Anyways, I returned to the Budokan at around 6:15 because doors would be opening soon. The mad rush to get inside was impressive. I didn't have an arena ticket this time, only a stupid balcony ticket. I joined the massive queue for the South Wing of the balcony, then watched in amazement as the gate opened and the fans rushed up the stairs. I just had to get a picture of it:


Anyways, my ticket sucked. I was in the middle, admittedly, so that was lucky, but I was aaaaall the way at the top of the balcony. I was excited to be able to actually see the show from the balcony but... immediately, I got a sense that the balcony meant being... out of the action. I also came to realize how dizzying it was up there. The seats had no backs and the seat in front of you was at ankle-level. It was like staring down into a sheer abyss. I was still feeling a little lonely, and it was just me and some guy next to me who was absorbed in texting. Oh well. I just waited around quietly for the seats around me to fill and for the show to start.

The scrim was pulled down, but I knew from watching DVDs of Dir en grey at the Budokan that this night would undoubtedly be different from the night before. And, as the lights extinguished and the crowd roared to its feet, I realized, oh yes... it was going to be completely different.

Sunday's setlist:

Ware, Yami Tote...
Deity
Obscure
Red Soil
Stuck Man
Doukoku to Sarinu
Shokubeni

- Kyo solo -

Toguro
Glass Skin
The Pledge
DOZING GREEN

- Kyo solo -
dead tree
Bugaboo
Reiketsu Nariseba
Gaika, Chinmoku Ga Nemuru Koro

Encore 1:

Hydra -666-
Agitated Screams of Maggots
Saku
Zan
Hageshisa To, Kono Mune No Naka De Karamitsuita Shakunetsu No Yami

Encore 2:

The Final
Inconvenient Ideal
Vinushka
Sa Bir (credits)

Hageshisa To, Kono Mune No Naka De Karamitsuita Shakunetsu No Yami - the music video

Now, let me just start off by saying this before I begin complaining about it later: I didn't like being in the balcony. I didn't like it at all. I felt utterly disconnected from the audience. It brought back intensely frustrating memories of seeing Dir en grey for the first time on the Family Value's tour and trying to rock out while the crowd around me stood passive, confused, or stoned. I hate the exposure of it. As the crowd leaped to its feet, I began cheering and shaking my fist. The young man beside me, however, stood passive, acting cool. The girls beside me nodded their heads but remained silent. The girls in front of me were, admittedly, rather insane. But, because of the seats, even their hair did not touch me when they headbanged. I felt exposed to the wind, and I felt myself shrinking back considerably. Relief came instantly, however, because Dir en grey opened with a song that did not allow for any movement from the audience.

In a massive contrast to Saturday's intense opening of Sa Bir into Vinushka, this show began with one of Dir en grey's slowest, prettiest songs: Ware, yami tote... As quickly as they had stormed to their feet, the audience went still and silent and watched. Dir en grey remained hidden behind the scrim, but their shadows were blown up to massive proportions so that their figures seemed to overtake the stage. The song was beautiful, and I was so grateful to be able to watch it properly this time, since at least half the song had been interrupted for me on Saturday when a young man fainted on me. Towards the end of the song, Dir en grey played with the lighting in such a way that their shadows seemed to replicate, and it was as if there were more than five band members playing on the stage. The scrim became crowded with their massive shadows, yet it seemed fitting to have so many musicians playing with the sheer magnitude of their music.

When Ware, yami tote ended, Dir en grey gave us one of the biggest shockers of the night. Instead of removing the scrim, the lights went dark and the scrim became somewhat green-tinted and covered in spiraling, splattered lights. The display seemed familiar, but it wasn't until the music began that it dawned on me (and the audience) what was happening. As if Dir en grey playing Rasetsukoku from Macabre wasn't enough on Saturday... they played Deity!!! When that strange music started (I've always thought it sounded like Buddhist monks trapped on a carnival ride played backwards), the audience went wild. The girls in front of me all looked at each other in shock and went "heeeeeeee?!" ("he" - pronounced like "heh" - is a Japanese sound of extreme surprise). Forgetting that I was exposed and embarrassed in the balcony, I jumped and clapped my hands with excitement. Mr. Cool next to me must have thought I was an idiot. Ah, maybe I am... I must explain that I am not someone who goes to a Dir en grey concert hoping for an "old song." I go hoping to see Dir en grey. When Dir en grey plays something like Deity, I grow excited because it's a chance to increase the Dir en grey songs I've experienced live, and not because it's something from the VK era. Deity was amazing. The music is so hard and grinding. The scrim dropped, revealing the band entirely. The crowd screamed wildly and began shaking their fists in time to the rapid guitar and drum-beat. Then Kyo began his eerie, drop-key rendition of Brahms Fifth in Russian. What I found interesting was that, after about two rounds of singing the chorus, Kyo - as per his usual trend lately - switched out the singing for deep, guttural growling. He continued the rest of the song like that. It was wonderfully fitting.

After Deity came Obscure. When the opening music began, I realized that Obscure had been strangely missing from Saturday's concert. Obscure is one of my favorite songs, but Dir en grey have been playing it as much as they used to play dead tree, meaning it has the potential for overplay. As such, it was a very good idea on the band's part to omit the song Saturday, causing huge excitement when it finally appeared Sunday. But now my balcony dilemma began. I wanted to headbang. I wanted to put my whole body into the experience. But I felt so out in the open. I peered down the steep drop into the pit and felt a pang of jealousy to see the arena fans stewing in a soup of ferocity without me. They were pushing and headbanging and shaking their heads and having a great time. Most of the balcony, actually, was behaving in a similar fashion. But for some reason, I was in a bad spot and those around me were not so enthusiastic. The guy next to me was too cool to even move. The girls on my other side were "selective headbangers" and would only start headbanging for an occasional song. It was frustrating because the people behind me were rocking out wonderfully. The girls in front of me... well, one of them must not have been feeling good because she kept sitting down and her friend would sit with her and rub her back. Their third friend however... she was part of what motivated to just say screw it and do what I wanted. She was incredible. Although she was a short, pudgy, glasses-wearing type, she would bend over double, grab the seat in front of her (which was ankle-level!) and headbang with such force that she would nearly topple. I tried to take a leaf out of her book and throw my whole body into Obscure, even if the people beside me remained passive. I didn't care if I looked silly to them!

After Obscure came Red Soil... amazing as always. Dir en grey's backdrop was the same emaciated, six-armed body from Saturday, but certain songs were now having different effects or background color changes. I can't remember specific details but... this was just something I noticed. I even remember that the body on the backdrop grew thinner as the show went on (this happened on Saturday as well). At one point, all its chest bones and collar bones jutted out in a sudden change of lighting, as if it had been starved for an entire song.

After Red Soil came Stuck Man, in which my balcony frustration began to reach its peak. The entire pit was jumping in unison to this wonderfully fun song, but people in the balcony, lacking that physical connection needed to get a whole crowd leaping, would just move their arm up and down in a mock imitation of jumping. I would have ignored them and jumped anyways but... I might have knocked over the motionless people beside me. It was during this song, however, that I came to realize the perils of my position in the balcony. I had noticed a few times that the drop of the balcony was making me feel a little dizzy because of its weird perspective. Looking forward and looking down seemed to be the same thing. While headbanging, the vertigo would grow worse. I decided to counter-balance that by just closing my eyes whenever I headbanged too fiercely. Unfortunately, the mixture of headbanging with the already-present psychological vertigo caused me to nearly faint during Stuck Man. As I was rocking out, the whole venue seemed to spiral out from under me and I stumbled backwards, completely unbalanced. I'll give Mr. Cool some credit... he flinched and moved his arm towards me in a way that told me if I had truly fallen over, he would've caught me. Luckily, the back of my calf hit my chair and this solid contact restored my perspective and my ability to balance. For the rest of the show, I kept at least one leg against the seat at all times to keep from getting vertigo again.

After Stuck Man was Doukoku to Sarinu, which was a rare moment in which I was truly appreciative of the balcony. I loved being able to just stand there and watch and admire the power of Dir en grey as they cranked out one of my favorite songs. I still do not understand why the crowd grows more passive during this song. A friend of mine has told me that she agrees with the Japanese audience, so I must be one of the few who feels aggression when I hear this song. I remember when I first got the Uroboros CD, if I was listening to it while doing homework, I would have to stop during Doukoku to Sarinu to pound a fist into my thigh or something. From the balcony, however, I could watch clearly as the band slammed along to the music. Shinya is truly a powerhouse on the drums.

Doukoku to Sarinu rolled into Shokubeni. The lights grew very dark and red for this song. One thing I particularly remember (if my unfortunate, failing memory is serving me well here) is that, during the part where the music goes silent and Kyo sings alone without the microphone, there was an incredible amount of desperation coming from him. In fact, Kyo lost any discernible rhythm with the song, to such an extent that I wondered how Shinya would know when to jump back in and restart the music. Kyo was singing the words as he always does, but sporadically and wildly, and at one point he seemed to bring the microphone back to his lips as if to re-amplify his anger... but the microphone was turned off...

It was only fitting, then, that Shokubeni should move directly into one of Kyo's solos. The solo was eerie as always, with tuneless piano music playing in the background. Kyo mumbled and whispered and omitted strange cries while a red light illuminated him from beneath his crate. The crowd watched silently. Kyo's solo moved so seamlessly into Toguro that it was almost hard to realize that the solo had ended and a song had begun. Toguro was as beautiful as Saturday's rendition, and Kaoru's guitar-playing struck me as particularly haunting. They played the video of the tattooed baby in the womb again.

After Toguro came Glass Skin. Here Kyo changed all the lyrics to the song. I remember my mind pausing and then doing a quick reboot when I realized all the words had changed. It was clear that Kyo was singing them off the top of his head. I tried desperately to remember what he said and to understand him but... I failed horribly. My conversational Japanese is quite good, but I still struggle with the complexity of translating lyrics. It frustrated me to think of what kind of meaningful experience the Japanese may have been having while understanding these new lyrics. Unfortunately, I couldn't keep up with them. The only line I expected to stay the same was the line "umaretekuru asu no te ha juunsui sono mama de... namida de kimi ga mou mienai" ("the hand of the child born tomorrow will be pure and remain so... I can no longer see you through my tears"). This was the only line that remained unchanged and simply translated in the English version of the song. However, at this live, Kyo began the line as if it was unchanged... and then changed it all anyways. I wish I knew what he sang about...

After Glass Skin was another surprise for the night: The Pledge. I hadn't heard this song in a terribly long time! I had forgotten how powerful this song is! The audience remained still and restrained for this song. Occasionally they would pump their fists or hold up their arm, but other than that they watched calmly or nodded their heads.

After the pledge was DOZING GREEN. Nothing particularly changed from the previous night, and I still admired how fast Die can play guitar. Ah, but I should note that the music video they played on the screen was nothing but millipedes. I know there were millipedes in the original music video, but this video focused on them completely. It was somewhat mesmerizing. There was slow-motion close-ups of the millipede's thousand legs rippling along... close-ups of millipedes on their backs or millipedes scampering along the ground. I'm not fond of millipedes but... I would dare to say the video made them look... somewhat elegant?

And here Kyo fell into another solo. This solo did not begin in the frantic, screaming manner of Saturday's second solo. It began so subtly that some of the crowd did not even realize it was a solo and continued to scream for a moment. My memory has grown terrible but... if I recall, Kyo was perched on his crate, uttering strange noises yet again... but this time, the noises were so few and far between that sometimes it was as if Kyo had forgotten to make sound at all. At one point, a deranged chuckle suddenly echoed eerily across the venue. There were times when Kyo simply breathed into the microphone and nothing else. It's so nice to be able to watch and admire this without people screaming ridiculous things during the solo like they do in America.

Kyo's solo slid seamlessly into dead tree, which had been brought back from Saturday. It was just as beautiful. Dead tree was followed by Bugaboo, in which I was utterly nauseated by the same video as Saturday with the convulsing, skinless torso.

After Bugaboo, Dir en grey rocked Reiketsu Nariseba. I tried to pay more attention to the flashing video this time, since the images are so funny. My personal favorite for Sunday: Jesus nailed to the cross... and then the cross shoots flames and blasts into the air like a rocket. Wow... I continued to headbang like crazy, and even the girls next to me started getting into it. The girl next to me stood with her feet shoulder-width apart, bent over, grabbed the seat behind her between her legs, and full-body headbanged. Truly impressive. I had to cool down though, because the vertigo was returning.

The "show" ended with Gaika, Chinmoku ga Nemuru Koro. I was, once more, amazed by how loud Toshiya's voice blasted through the speakers. And Kyo's voice was incredibly powerful. During the part at the end where the song seems to descend into Hell, Kyo let out these guttural grunts and growls that got the whole crowd rocking. The girls in front of me seemed to lose control and began para-para-style headbanging with the fist-pumping and the forward upper-body motions, as if they didn't know how else to get it all out of their system.

The show ended, but I knew we needed encore. The band left pretty quickly, and the roadies came out and "pretended" to take away the microphone stands. It's not like this fools us or anything!

Anyways, the band came back after a few minutes, and blasted right into Hydra -666-! I was sooooo excited to see this song again! What really excited me was that, unlike Saturday, Kyo was wearing the creepy, decaying mask! They also projected his image more clearly on the screen. On Saturday, the image seemed blurred and obscured by lights and strange patterns... but for Sunday, it was a very clear image of Kyo in real-time, wearing the mask. And the screen showed him for the whole song, not just the part where he throws his arms out. Also, they shot fire from the flamethrowers at the back of the stage during the "Six!... Six six!" part but... I got the feeling they used less fire for this show than they did for Saturday. It was less flashy but... I actually enjoyed it more. Kyo was wearing the mask and the band didn't really need the fire because... they just seemed on fire, somehow. It was more raw, and more powerful.

After Hydra -666- came Agitated Screams of Maggots. Now that was a fun little surprise that was missing from the Saturday concert! Oh, how I wish I could have joined the writhing masses in the pit... I just resigned myself to throwing my fist and screaming "I'll rape your daughter on your grave!" at the band. Kyo definitely jumped off the crate during this song and kicked his legs into the air. I wish the people around me had that much energy... During the sharp, guitar-riff sections, the whole crowd throws their fist and yells "HAI!" in time to the beat. It's really awesome. I think it may have been around this time that the giant screen at the top of the backdrop split into five segments and played real-time angles of each of the band members. They did this on Saturday during encore as well, but I forgot to mention it. It was great because you could watch each band member up close and all at once. You could see Kaoru's fingers on the guitar, or Shinya's face, or Die's arms up close and all at the same time!

After Agitated came another fantastic surprise - Saku! Now I hadn't heard that in a long time! It felt really nostalgic. What surprised me was that the entire crowd yelled "Dick men! Fuck off, fuck off, and wipe!" with Kyo. I honestly didn't expect that. Also, the lights roared bright during the chorus and Kyo stood on his crate, bathed in light, singing beautifully. Die held up his guitar and threw his head back, shaking out his incredible hair. Everyone held up their arm and bobbed it in time to the beat. I wound up shaking my head around because I just felt so into it. I felt a bit like a fan island in a calm sea. Oh well, at least the row behind me and the people below me seemed to be having a blast.

Just when things were getting too awesome to bear, up came Zan! I've already gushed about how amazing the new version of Zan is live, so I won't bore with repeated details, but it was just as amazing Sunday as it was the last few times I saw it. From my new perspective, I was able to watch the pits below me pummel themselves to death. Some people in the balcony actually were jumping and yelling "psycho!" though. It was the first time we got the balcony to jump.

The first encore ended with Hageshisa to, kono mune no naka de karamitsuita shakunetsu no yami (that title.... argh). Kyo was really encouraging the crowd to sing with him. At first, he just did the chorus as normal, and what made me chuckle a bit was that the crowd didn't sing the chorus, but they did do the waaaaaaAAAAAAH note with him. I guess Kyo wasn't satisfied with that, though, because he kept skipping words and holding out his microphone to us to make us sing. The crowd was more than happy to fill in for him, though. This song is really powerful live. I love watching Shinya glide flawlessly through all the transitions this song takes.

And here Dir en grey left us again. Fans didn't even hesitate to start yelling "an-ko-re!" this time. The roadies didn't feel up to tricking us again, so they just sort of shuffled around some equipment, fumbled with some wires, and left. Yeah, you're not gonna fool us, silly roadies.

Anyways, Dir en grey came back a few minutes later and really stunned the crowd with their first song: The Final. Now, I know The Final is absolutely one of the number one fan favorites in the West, but I had always heard that Japanese fans don't go as insane over it as the West does. I'd always heard the intense love of The Final was a Western thing. Um, not true. The girls around me were gasping and turning to each other in shock and clapping their hands with joy. The Japanese were as shocked and excited for The Final as they were for Deity. Anyways, this song is just... beyond words at a Japanese concert. Everyone stood so silent and still for the beginning of the song. Then, when Kyo drove into the chorus singing "te no naka ni wa aisuru beki hito sae mo hanabanashiku chitte" ("even loved ones scatter like flower petals from my hand") everyone held out their hands as if in response to the words. What really awed me was towards the end... Kyo did not once sing the words "I can't live." Instead, he just screamed "SO!" into the microphone, then held it out for the entire crowd to sing "I can't live, so I can't live" in his stead. It was a little frightening watching all the Japanese people around me holding out their arms, glassy-eyed, singing these words as if there was no greater truth in their lives. When the song ended, Kyo just very slowly, almost as if whimpering, murmured "raisui no tsubomi... sakaseyou" ("let's bloom flowers of attempted suicide"). He held the note in sakaseyou as sakaaaaaaseyou and held the "a" until he was literally out of breath. Then he loudly swiped the microphone through his hand as if cutting himself, stepped off his crate, and the song was over.

The incredible power never dissipated, as Dir en grey moved right into Inconvenient Ideal. As the supposed "soul" of Uroboros, it was a truly fitting way to start closing down the show. I always feel overcome by the incredible emotions of this song. Kyo sings it deep down from the heart, one hand always near or on his chest. I don't even know what else to say except that... it's beautiful...

When Inconvenient Ideal ended, I was surprised to hear the opening notes of... Vinushka. And Kyo never yelled "last song!" like he usually does. Instead, he just murmured "saigou desu..." ("this is the last one...") almost warningly into the microphone. I felt a little chilled and wondered what it meant. It was so strange to end with Vinushka. Vinushka is the first song after Sa Bir's intro on Uroboros and... it was the first song they played on Saturday. I just stood there quietly and watched and wondered. Much to my great relief, Dir en grey did not play any World War II or Hiroshima videos during this song. It was amazing as always, and, again... without the video it just seemed rawer and purer than before. Toshiya threw his whole body into it... so did Die... Kaoru just looked as cool and in control as ever. Shinya was a monster on the drums. Kyo sang and screamed and allowed his whole being to fill the arena.

Then it was over. Everyone started applauding and cheering like mad. Much to my surprise, Dir en grey just left. Well, except Kyo. The rest of the band left without a word, without throwing any picks, without throwing any drumsticks, and Kyo just stood on his crate, one arm held up, head thrown back, until every last member was gone. Then he leaped down and wordlessly followed his band mates away.

The entire backdrop changed to a gigantic display of the flaming word "UROBOROS" with the subtitle "-with the proof in the name of the living-". And, much to my continued shock, the sound system began booming with Sa Bir... the intro to Uroboros. The giant screen above the backdrop began to roll credits listing all 97 concerts Dir en grey did this year (wow... hard to believe that's even less than last year). The audience continue to applaud and cheer wildly. So did I, of course. As the credits rolled, I came to realize the significance of what they'd done. Saturday began with Sa Bir and went into Vinushka. Sunday ended with Vinushka followed by Sa Bir and the rolling of credits. This was a clear indication that... Uroboros was ending. The uroboros is a snake in a full circle, biting its tail... and the world of Uroboros had come full circle. The message was clear: this era was ending... and Dir en grey was moving on, just like they always do. I felt a pang of sadness to realize this, since I love Uroboros so much. Of course, I'm excited to see where Dir en grey go from here, so it's more of a bittersweet feeling. But now Vinushka, a song I'd always associated with something "beginning" now feels like something "ending." I'll confess... I haven't been able to listen to that song since the concert, because the bittersweet melancholy returns. The message was quite clear that Dir en grey had rounded the circle... and were moving on.

When the credits ceased, the house lights didn't go up. In response, the crowd began roaring "an-ko-re!" again. I couldn't help but snort. Did they really think Dir en grey would do an encore after all that? After rolling credits? However, much to my shock, the massive screen above the backdrop suddenly lowered. The whole crowd let out a surprised cry. Then, as if to truly prove that Uroboros was done and something new was beginning... Dir en grey began to play the new, unreleased music video for Hageshisa to kono mune no naka de karamitsuita shakunetu no yami. The whole crowd, upon realizing what this was, let out a mutual "eeeeh?!" of shock and surprise. I began clapping happily, I was so excited!

The crowd got really into it! Everyone was standing for the music video, and everyone began singing along as loudly as possible to the entire song, and people were headbanging and fist-pumping, even though it was just a music video! People rocked out as if the band was there and sang as loud as they could in Kyo's stead. I, and probably everyone else there, had already seen the first two minutes of the music video, so I was able to just sit back and enjoy it and sing along. The only thing that worried me was the close-ups of the bugs. In this music video, Dir en grey have insects being born inside them and actually chewing their way out of their skin. I have no problem with the scenes in which Die's forearm, or Kaoru's upper arm, or Shinya's back are covered in larvae and rot and stuff but... when the beetles start hatching and swarming their arms, I really feel nauseous. I don't know why. I'm not afraid of bugs but... the special effects in the video really nauseate me. Almost too realistic. Well, anyways, the first two minutes went fine and I thought nothing of it. Dir en grey's music videos have been really passive lately, so I highly doubted that it would progress beyond Dir en grey being covered in beetles. But... the video kind of goes insane after the part that's been previewed. I won't go into detail because I think it'll ruin the great shock value that the video has, but... I felt really sick watching it. As different things became revealed, the entire crowd would gasp or scream in horror. Seriously... The girls in front of me kept grabbing each other in horror and the whole crowd would cry out in shock at certain parts. I, on the other hand, felt faint. I was sure I was going to throw up. I think my reaction is not typical, though. Please don't expect to feel the way I did! I'm very squeamish about particular things and... the second half of the video nailed it. I really couldn't take it. The video is just... gross. So gross. Obscure never grossed me out. But this does. I really hope they release the whole thing soon, so everyone can just get it out of their systems and stop waiting!

Anyways, I felt too sick to move after the video. As the house lights went up and everyone began packing up their stuff, I just grabbed my things, stumbled past Mr. Cool, and got as far away as possible. Not a normal reaction - please don't expect to feel that way after the music video! It just horrified me with specific things that horrify me and... when something hits me where I'm squeamish, I just get ill. I can't help it. I didn't even try to find any of my friends or people that I knew... I just stumbled away, got on the train, and went home.

But you know what... it was still the best ending to a concert ever. I don't care if it made me sick... it was amazing to be at a first-hand screening of a new music video on a giant screen with thousands of people singing along. It was incredible. It was the start of a whole new direction... and a whole new level of grotesque.

Bravo, Dir en grey. That's all I have to say. Bravo.

Anyways, that's my blog update on Dir en grey's final concert of Uroboros at the Nippon Budokan! Sorry that it's such shit... since school robbed me of my memory. I hope it's readable nonetheless!

See you all on my next grand adventure!

7 comments:

  1. Woooo. And I thought I couldn't get any more jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeeeeh? Did Sunday make you more jealous than Saturday? It's funny... everyone thoguht I was crazy for going both days, but I was like... you know it'll be totally different, right? So people all figured Saturday would be better because it's a Saturday. I was like... yeah, right, believe what you want. And sure enough... Sunday pwned Saturday. Pwned it hard. It was awesome. Don't be jealous, though! You'll have fun next year too! Japan was sorta made for fun. Doesn't matter when you go, there's always something fun to do, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AAAHHH, I'm so jealous! I wish I could've gone on Sunday too... they even played The Final. I'm sorry that you got vertigo, though, that sucks. And Gackt sent flowers to BUCK-TICK too. Weird. Maybe he just sends them to everyone who plays at the Budokan? Anyway, Kaoru's smiling, ahahahaha, those pictures made me very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaaaw, Kaoru smiling = automatic happy :-D

    Gackt's a piiiiiiimp! Srsly.

    DIE SHOULD HAVE DRUNK MORE. BRING ON THE HEINEKEN!!! Really, it just ain't Die without horrible pictures of him falling over drunk, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello!

    I LOVE YOUR BLOG!I'm JEALOUS!arghhhh you went to Budokan!cough anyways, first time here!Thank you for sharing this, loved every bits of this.you sure are lucky!No words can describe how envious I am LOL I mean it, it's one of my dream to get a job in Japan & see Diru live!But of course it won't happen anytime sooner, I'm working hard on it..in the mean time, I'll have to stalk you :p

    My fav part would be this : "I don't think Dir en grey appreciate being reminded that they used to wear dresses."

    well said!totally agree with you!enough is enough!I'm so sick of ppl saying how much they hated the new images, and they wanted Dir en grey to dress up in dresses!argh damnit just appreciate their music!

    THANK YOU!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. is not the first time to send flowers gackt to dir en grey
    in fact, to be exact, gackt sends flowers to Toshiya

    ReplyDelete