Thursday, August 25, 2011

Opening Ceremony

Well, classes haven't exactly started per se, but we've, like... kinda started around here.  We had our opening ceremony today, and our first teacher meetings, and our first school lunch, and stuff like that.  All these teachers seemed to appear out of thin air that I'd never seen before.  Um... I swore I'd blog at least a little about the school stuff.

Let's see...

The ceremony was pretty boring.  My source of entertainment was the group of third year boys who couldn't behave themselves to save their lives.  One of them... just kept dancing.  I don't even know why.  They were consistently told to keep their feet between these lines but that was a joke.  One boy kept acting out, so a teacher came and dragged him into the equipment room of the gym and disappeared in there with him for awhile.  The kid stumbled out, looking all upset.  Then, as soon as the teacher wasn't looking, he sprawled himself all over the line again.  Yeah... I think I've already figured out who the class clowns are.  One kid, when the teacher came over to berate him, curled up in a ball and rocked back and forth pretending to be scared.  Ha ha.  Some of the teachers had to prowl the gym with the sole purpose of waking up kids who'd fallen asleep.

Not that I blamed them.

I had to go up there and give a formal introduction about myself to 500 kids.  They all listened patiently, lucky for me.  It was just crap like, "Hi, nice to meet you, my name is ____________, I'm from ____________" etc. etc.

But afterwards... Alright, I dunno what it is, but I obviously exude some kind of aura of pinkness and candy and kittens because Japanese girls seem to think I'm the cutest thing ever and I have no idea why.  I mean ME of all people!  Outside the gym, some girls said, "hello!" to me, so I said "hello!" back and waved.  Then the girls dissolved into squeals of "kawaiiiiiiiiiiii!!!" ("cuuuuuuuuuute!").  What the hell?!  I did nothing to cause this!  As I'm walking away, a herd of girls are going, "omigawd, she's so cute!"  I don't understand this!  I got this when I studied abroad too!  Everything I did, Japanese girls freaked out and went on and on about how cute I am!  I don't understand!  I'm fat, and frizzy-haired, and I wear too much make up... what the hell is cute about that?!

We may never know.

Um, yeah, we had school lunch, which was huge, as expected.  Too much rice, and I hate Japanese chicken (I hit some cartilage and wanted to throw up the whole meal).  Lucky for me I love fish (even when it has bones) and I have no problem with things like pickled plums and seaweed and stuff.  I love Japanese food.  Just not the chicken.  When I need a chicken fix, I'll go running to the KFC in Kiryu.

The teachers here... some are nice.  Most don't want to approach me.  I don't blame them.  I wouldn't want to approach me either.  I rely on one or two to get by.  I have to start doing classes... Tuesday, I think?  Yet I haven't discussed the first lessons with any teachers yet, and they don't seem to care.  My policy is, if you don't care, I don't care.  People say I have to take more initiative.  I say the teachers are adults and they can deal with it.

But that's what I say about most things.

Uuuum... yeah, this post is getting boring, lol.  I'll be back again with another indies report soon!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!  Puppies and kittens and rainbows!

5 comments:

  1. My first thought was, if i was there I would probably drop ten pounds; i'm just not so adventurous when it comes to food. And I'm actually interested to see how the class clowns handle you.. or vice versa. Let us know how your lessons turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm sure it'll be a "good" or at least funny experience for you.Weren't you nervours when you talked in front of all of those people? Oo

    ReplyDelete
  3. @kei: Japanese food is definitely rough for some people. MelJay from my indies blogs doesn't like fish when it's cooked, which is how school lunches tend to be, so that's been hard for her. Another girl teaching English in Kiryu doesn't like pickled things, so that's been really hard for her. I tend to like most things to some extent, even the weird stuff, but the chicken is the death of me here (not the thing you'd think an American would struggle with, lol!). I love the bony fish and the seaweed and the ginger and the pickled stuff and I can even handle natto (though I don't go out of my way for it) but the chicken... it's nothing but fat and cartilage! It's sick! I can't eat it! Whenever I hit cartilage, I literally feel sick >__< So, yeah, even for those of us who like Japanese food, there can still be difficulties sometimes :-/

    @Emotional Days: Well, I've "formally introduced" myself to groups of people so many times now that doing it in front of 500 kids just didn't seem daunting anymore, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must be tough to have to handle a bunch of kids without much(or any?) teaching experience ^^Good luck with all of that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, it kinda sucks, actually. I did assistant ESL teaching for one summer a few years ago, and that's all the teaching experience I have. I'm pretty sure I'm going to look like an idiot in front of those kids >___<

    ReplyDelete