Friday, October 12, 2012

Osaka Kaiyukan Aquarium (Aquariums Part 2)

Time for another aquarium!  This time, an Osaka aquarium!

If you missed it, check out my last update for tons of pictures of the Sunshine City Aquarium in Ikebukuro.

For now, let's focus on the Kaiyukan Aquarium in Osaka!  Kaiyukan is one of the largest aquariums in Japan (the largest is in Okinawa, so check out my old Okinawa post if you'd like to see it).  The Kaiyukan is very close to Universal Studios, but on the other side of a large body of water.  That means it's 30 minutes away by train...... but only 10 minutes away by boat.

Hell yeah!  Let's grab our flippy-floppies and get on a boat!  It's called the Captain Line, and you can buy a special pass that includes the boat fare and the aquarium ticket price together.  The boat ride also includes a great view of Osaka City.


That's the Universal Studios ferris wheel in the distance.




Along the way, we passed a pirate ship for some reason.  LET'S BATTLE!


 At last, we arrived at the aquarium!  Here's the entrance:


The aquarium is larger than the one in Ikebukuro, but it's the same price: 2,000 yen (roughly $20).  Unfortunately, I forgot to charge my stupid camera before coming, and it crapped out on me partway through.  When did it crap out?  Right before the adorable otters.  Since some of my pictures were taken with the iPhone, and some were taken with a decent camera, I decided to pile all my crappy pictures at the beginning of this post, so that it can only improve as you read it.  


Let's start with some super chubby seals!
So chubby!

It was feeding time!

That sea lion was huge.

And hungry!

Pffftthhbbbt.

For some reason, the aquarium has a capybara.  I really don't know why.  For those who don't know, capybaras are the world's largest rodents.  That whole thing is a rodent.


It was feeding time for him too!


 Penguins!


The penguin in the back was sitting on an egg!

The Kaiyukan Aquarium also has dolphins!


And assorted colorful fish:




One of the aquarium's most prized possessions is a whale shark.  They're the largest fish in the ocean, hence the name.  Not many aquariums can house a whale shark, so it's very cool to get to see one.  Unfortunately, he didn't pass by the glass too often.
COME BACK!

The whale shark shares his tank with manta rays.
Duuuuuuuuuuuur.  What a goofy face.



Luckily, the whale shark passed by one more time so I could get a shot of him!


Then I found a fish vortex!


I also found my arch-nemesis: the dreaded jellyfish.  Noooooooooooooooo!
Don't try to lure me in with your adorable colors!  I know you're planning to take over the world!

You think it's funny being a multi-celled organism without a brain?!  Well, it's not!  Go back to your home planet!

Luckily, the cute garden eels made up for the creepy jellyfish.


But soon they were back... and in greater numbers!
NOOOOOOOOO.

The jellyfish weren't the only terrors at Kaiyukan.
What does this guy want......?
N-no...  Stay back!  Don't come any closer!

Here's a gentle sea turtle to make things better:

This fish tried to eat that girl for at least five minutes.

Giant crabs!



And the dreaded jellyfish return.

NO, THERE ARE TOO MANY!



AAAAAAAAAGH.
OH THE HUMANITY!



That one's adopted.

Smoosh.


I don't want to end this post with conniving jellyfish, so here are some friendlier photos:


Not that sharks are much friendlier...



At least the birds were cute!
So fluffy!

 I'd like to end this update with adorable river otters! Look at these cute little tubes of fur!

Well, that's all I've got for the Kaiyukan Aquarium.  We kinda rushed through it because we had a train to catch (spoiler for my Osaka post: we didn't catch it).  Overall, I think the Osaka Kaiyukan Aquarium is great.  While it isn't as monstrously huge as the aquarium in Okinawa, it's bigger, cleaner, and has more animals than the Sunshine City Aquarium in Ikebukuro, for the same price.  Kaiyukan also has the feeding times for the animals listed outside their enclosures so you can watch them eat.

My friends and I had sushi after the adventure.  Yes, we are horrible, horrible people.

Anyways, my next update is the big one: the Universal Studios Halloween special.  Prepare thine selves!

6 comments:

  1. I'm guessing you had a bad experience with jellyfish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I never have, lol. Never been stung or anything. But I've watched a lot of nature shows about jellyfish, and it made me hate them. They're pretty, and fun to watch, but they might also destroy the world, lol.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely loved the pictures and your flaming about jellyfish xD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoy my hatred, hahaha.

      Delete
  3. KAIYUKAN!!!!!!

    was quite LITERALLY my battle-cry first when I arrived in Osaka and then when I just read this post. I freakin' LOVE that place SO so much, I think we DID spend between three and four hours in there and I am NOT kidding.

    Wait, wasn't the whale-shark called Yuu-chan? Am I making that up? I must be making that up, all things considered.

    BUTTERED TOAST made me lol.

    And you know what girl? I wanted to go to Universal Studios in Osaka this Hallowe'en! Not on, I am the HEIGHT of jealous, SO so jealous. Silent Hill!! Resident Evil!! God freakin' damn it. How about Disneyland then? XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I ever go back to Osaka with more time, I'm gonna spend more time at Kaiyukan! It's pretty awesome! And it would be even more awesome if the whale-shark is called Yuu-chan. I seriously hope you're right XD

      Also, we actually thought about Disneyland for Halloween, but decided it would be too crowded during this season. But that doesn't mean we won't go to Disneyland eventually!!! I'll try to finish up my Universal post this week and make it super awesome for everyone. I even took video!!! :-D

      Delete