Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Sunshine City Aquarium

A quick heads up!  I took a trip this weekend that involved another aquarium, so this is the first of two aquarium posts!  I meant to combine the two, but there were just too many pictures, so the next post will be like Aquarium Part 2 with even more fish.

Another heads up: Where did I go over the weekend?  I went to Universal Studios in Osaka for Halloween.  So prepare yourselves for the most awesome post ever.  Just gimme a little time to get the second aquarium post up (hopefully tomorrow), and then I'll start working on what will hopefully be the greatest thing I ever put on here.  I'll give you a teaser: the park was promoting Resident Evil 6.

So for now, fish.  Lots and lots of fish.  And other stuff animals too, just because.  So the Sunshine City Aquarium in Ikebukuro, Tokyo is on the top floor of the Sunshine City mall, and it's only about 2000 yen to get in.  I don't have much else to say about that, so I'm just gonna post lots of pictures!

Starting with... sea lions!   The Sunshine City Aquarium has this weird thing set up where part of the sea lion enclosure goes above the heads of the guests, making for some fun shots.



 Soooooo cute, right?


Also, I know I've mentioned this before, but there's this thing I like to call Japan Logic.  It's basically what I use to describe any situation in Japan in which it seems like absolutely no thought or reasoning has gone into something (which is, like, all the time).  So the following picture is brought to you by Japan Logic:

Yes, that's an armadillo, a ring-tailed lemur, and an aquatic bird sharing an enclosure.  This just screams "meanwhile, in Japan..."

Also, the lemur was, um....... licking the armadillo repeatedly.
Turtle!!!
In Japan, ducks are zoo-worthy.
Aflac!!!
Sea turtle!
The special at the aquarium was penguins, and they sure had a lot of them!





Pardon my terrible reflection.
Another strange, armored creature:

Sandshrew...?
They also have Fennec foxes, oh god the cuteness rnlsahego;iglsnbkjlnh;ankren........


And now for, um... actual fish.  Since this is an aquarium.


This fish was seriously the size of a person.


I love their coloring!
The aquarium also has pelicans!


Proof that pterodactyls still live among us.
Under a sea lion!


And back to fish.  I love these little wormies, so cute!!!





Dramatic Chipmunk, meet Dramatic Garden Eel.  Dun dun duuuuuun.

Your soul.  He wants it.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh.
I love these fish.  So beautiful!  They're like fairy fish!



A wild eel appears:



Sea dragons.  Proof that alien life has visited Earth and settled in for a few milleniums.


You are not of this world.  You do not belong here.

GO BACK TO YOUR PLANET!

Some seahorses and stripey fish.


Fabulous fish.
You should go home too........

These clam things were moving.




Some scuba divers were in there cleaning and stuff.


Can I live here please.....?
Japan has giant... fucking... crabs...


MelJay for size comparison, although it doesn't even come close to showing how huge that thing is.
All hail our new crabby overlords.
Octopus:


OM NOM NOM.

What... is this....?


Here's where my Sunshine City photos take a turn for the worst.  My camera died right when I got to the fucking sea otters.  So I had to switch to my shitty iPod Touch camera.  Sorry about the quality.  Why did it have to die right before the otters, gaaaaah!!!

These cute bastards were spinning in circles like pencils rolling down a hill.  It was the cutest thing ever.


Wheeeeeee!

They had dog toys for them to fetch!
Now it's time to look at the animal I hate most in this world: the jellyfish.  I'm thoroughly convinced jellyfish are alien lifeforms sent here to bide their time and slowly destroy the human race.  They blurb-blurb around trying to act all cute, but I'm onto them....... I'M ONTO YOU FUCKERS!!!



I'M SO ONTO YOU!!!  YOU THINK NO ONE KNOWS, BUT I KNOW!!!

Go away, hell-spawn.




Let's get back to fish that aren't trying to enslave the human race.

This eel's like "helloooooooo."

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT?!!  I used myself for size comparison.

STARFISH LOVES YOU!!!

STARFISH LOVE ME LOVE ME!!!
Cuttlefish loves you too.
LOVE ME LOVE MEEEEEE!!!
Gah!
This is clearly the best fish in the ocean.


Big-ass fish.
What the FUCK are these things?!!  Permanently cock-sucking fish?

Lungfish scare the hell out of me.  Take it back, evolution!  Take it back!


Pink axolotls, squee!!!


Diabeetus.






CHUBBY SEALS!!!




Hi!
This is clearly the night club tank.

A challenger appears.
Some woman kept telling her child, "there's a lot of Dori's in there!" (literally: "Dori ippai iru yo!")
MelJay + sleeping Fennec fox.
SO CUTE AND FUZZY.
So that's all I have for the Sunshine City Aquarium.  My overall observation: compared to the Osaka aquarium I'm about to post about, this one wasn't as clean or well-maintained, but it was good for the price, and it had some very nice stuff.  +100 points for the Fennec foxes.  It also took about an hour and a half to get through.  Also, Japanese people say the same kinds of funny stuff about fish as Americans do, with one exception: at every tank, the people around us incessantly talked about how delicious the fish looked.  It started to mess with our heads, so after we were done with the aquarium....... we went and got sushi.

I REGRET NOTHING!

2 comments:

  1. lol yeah, when I went with my friend, she was like.. oh that fish looks so tasty!! I was like, what??? you crazy person. I love aquariums though they're fun^^ I haven't been to this one, but I went to the one in Osaka. And recently I went to the one in Shinagawa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I didn't even know there was one in Shinagawa. Maybe I should try that next!

      Delete